Sunrise Magic

Hello Friends, 






Well, I don't think we'll be doing that again soon. 




It was a warm November, as exhibited by the lack of snow and ice. But it was so far into the not-warm-enough zone that morning when we got the grand idea to take photos at sunrise in a valley the sun never reaches. In any case, this is what we ended up with. The colours are gorgeous; it's a nice scene. 




The outfit is not quite what I envisioned, but since it was so cold we had to make do with what was warmest. My sweater is one of the things I bought when coming to Manitoba the first year and expecting to just wear jeans and warm sweaters every day as a side effect of the weather. Little old me did not realize that wherever I went, I was still me. I couldn't change my style unless I actually wanted to; and cold weather is never really a deterrent for me to blend into the crowd. I couldn't do it. 

Now that's not to say hoodies and jeans are not a staple, and so many people live in them. That's great! We each have our own sense of what works for us. I'm stuck in my circle of dresses and skirts because I like it, not because I'm trying to impress anyone. It's also because I'm allergic to things that don't match, just like I'm allergic to having toenails without any polish on them. It bothers me. Somehow that developed into what people call a "sense of style" and "fashion intuition" but really it's just matching things like silhouettes and prints. There's not much mediation that goes through something I wear, besides the really special pieces. 






The river's elegance was breathtaking! There was more movement than I expected. 








Tulle skirts are one of my all time favorite pieces; they are so beautiful and fun, with so many layers of spinnable fun. It is instant ballerina, while still being work appropriate. (Notice I didn't say very practical for work, because sometimes it can be rather strange. You just gotta rock it.) 

I have a longer pink one that I got at Smart Set, but I am always looking online for other styles I can steal. Unfortunately, they are usually upwards of $70, and although that's not much for someone in the fashion world, my bank account cringes at the thought. So I waited and waited and then stumbled on this one at Urban Planet! For a nice price of $15, well made and exactly what I was looking for online.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really into the store because of it's strangely large array of inventory (Also looking at you, Forever 21 and H&M..) that seems suspiciously cheaply made for having allegedly ethical roots. Although I am not a hard-nosed ethical shopper with no mercy, I try to shop online and in the mall at stores I think have a chance at being establishments that pay their workers fairly and abide by labour regulations. I don't want to be a supporter of the fast fashion movement. 






But that's that! A nice riverside morning that was much colder than the pictures portray. 

I'm not sure what's going to happen with my blog in the new year. My photographer Christine is moving away and I have had trouble with inspiration lately; I want to give good content to the world and not slap a caption on stuff and call it a post. I'll keep you posted. (ha) 






This week's song is called Beloved, by Vocal Few. It has a nice melody and it's off their Christmas EP, but if you look a little closer at the lyrics and towards the second half of the song, it gets so incredibly impacting that sometimes I have to stop whatever I'm doing and turn it up just to hear the message again. Please take a listen and see if anything stands out to you. 



Love you all! 
-Natasha 


*Bonus Photo* 


Comments

Popular Posts